Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sargent Study

I think if you want to be a visual developer, I think at one point in your life, you should do a master copy of Sargent - and if you've already done one, do like 5 more.

Here's my master copy of the painting he did of his sister (oops, not his wife. I definitely looked at his bio and went tl;dr). I probably could have kept going on it, but unfortunately, I can't make my livelihood copying his work. I learned a lot though, and I can appreciate the man this much more now.
I realized I have no idea what I'm doing, not that I didn't know that already, but it was confirmed ten fold when I was trying to do this. I did try to make it look less digital, since I recognize Sargent wasn't equipped with a desktop computer and a 21UX.

Anyway, google the original, it's quite gorgeous.

Master Copy. "Emily Sargent" Original by John Singer Sargent c. 1877

2 comments:

  1. This is really nice Leisha! Flipping between yours and the original, there are a few proportional differences with the face, but I think you did a really good job on this. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda! I had a lot of trouble with getting the face right, and I realized I shouldn't overwork it, but I'm glad that you like it. Means a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete